Dear 18 year old me,
Your life is about to change, because college is coming. It’s the most exciting and nerve-wrecking time of your life, you’ll both love it and hate it at the same time. The people you’re going to meet are going to be stuck with you for life, they’re not going anywhere. But, you’ll also be meeting people that you’re never going to speak to ever again, and that’s ok.
Here are some things to keep in mind when you’re preparing yourself for this journey:
- Have a meal plan during your freshman year, because you CANNOT live off of kraft mac and cheese every night
- Join a club freshman year, it’s a great way for you to meet friends and understand your major at the same time
- Participate in class, because participation points are a thing in college still
- Don’t buy your books until after your first week of school and if you do, check out Chegg first. Ain’t nobody got time for full priced textbooks
- Make sure you buy a planner, because it’ll be your life
- Before your first day of class, go on a quick walk through where your classes are going to be so you’re not late on your first day
- Check out your roommate(s) online before moving in, better yet – find your roommate online before you move in
- Buy a bath caddie to put all your bath stuff in, because you’ll most likely be sharing a bathroom with a few girls
- COMMAND HOOKS ARE LIFE SAVERS, BUY LOTS OF THEM
- Get a shoe rack because you’ll thank me
- Also, don’t forget a snack drawer – during those late nights, you’ll thank me
- Don’t forget those flip flops for the shower – trust me, you don’t want to stand on those bathroom floors
- Buy a foam topper for your mattress, because without it, it’ll feel like a cardboard box
- Do your research. Financial Aid and student loans are hard topics to fully understand. Seek resources when and where you can. Like Earnest, they have great content to help explain how to apply for financial aid and can even help after you graduate.
- Finally, don’t forget to go out and have fun!
Hope this helps all of you college in-commers J If you have anything you’d like to add in to my list, feel free to add to my list!